East Dorset Community Partnership was formed in 2003 and brings together representatives from the Voluntary & Community, Private, Statutory and Public Sectors.
The Partnership, working closely with East Dorset District Council, has supported the development of Parish Plans across the District. The priorities and issues identified through these plans guided the development of the Sustainable Community Strategy which was published in 2008 and contains ten strategic objectives in which the partnership will seek to;
1. Actively Engage with the Community
2. Provide support to sustain and grow the Economy
3. Develop and support the Voluntary and Community Sector
4. Develop Sustainable Communities and Decent Homes
5. Improve Housing, Health and Well-Being
6. Promote Learning for All
7. Protect and enhance the Environment
8. Reduce the Fear of Crime
9. Reduce Traffic Volumes and Speed
10. Stimulate Culture and Leisure activities
In 2009 the Structure of the Partnership was streamlined to place more emphasis on supporting the views expressed by local residents through their local community plans. This will be facilitated by the development of the new Community Panel which local representative groups are invited to join. At the same time the partnership wants to ensure that the future shape of the District is influenced by the views of local people and from Autumn 2009 the Traffic & Transport, Environment and Housing Theme Action Groups will feed into a new Community Planning Group that will help shape the development of planning policy in East Dorset.