July 07 Meeting Notes
12th July 2007
7.00pm – The Hanham Centre, Wimborne
1. Welcome from the Chair
Maureen Godfrey (MG) welcomed Jean Hazel from Verwood Town Council.
2. Previous Minutes
The previous minutes stated that James Riley (JR) updated on youth motorcycle training, this should have been youth motor vehicle training.
Sue Gilchrist (SG) had previously requested information on long term use of mobility scooters, HR to pass contact details.
The SID has not yet been purchased as there have been technical problems with the model which they intended to buy. A cheaper, more reliable alternative has now been found. JS needs to invoice EDDC for the funds.
Nici Hill (NH) requested the information that the Holt Parish Plan Group has gathered on SID’s to share this information with another TAG group who intend to purchase a SID.
Inspector John Mallace will contact HR and KB at QE School as he is planning to set up a meeting with the DSA (Driving Standards Agency) and the Camera Partnership to discuss the viability of implementing a road safety training scheme into QE school. JM will provide an update at the September TAG.
3. Update on Activities
MG has met with both Queen Elizabeth School and Ferndown Upper School along with PC John Sweet, the relevant bus companies and the Anti Social Behaviour Officer from EDDC. Three members of the QE School Council and two members of the Ferndown Upper School Council also attended the meeting. The representatives from the school councils will work together to produce a code of conduct which will be issued to all pupils in September, this will need to be signed by parents/guardians also.
There will be a scale of anti social behaviour which will determine the outcome. In the most severe cases parents will be written to by Dorset Police in collaboration with the bus companies and schools.
There has been a recent incident at Ferndown Upper School where two flares were activated on the top deck of the bus. It was noted these types of incidences are in the minority but does highlight the potential danger to pupils, bus drivers, road users and pedestrians.
There will be an official launch at Ferndown Upper School on 1/10/07 which will be attended by PC John Sweet. It is anticipated there will be media coverage to promote the scheme. It will also be made very clear that the scheme is starting with the two schools but will be filtered through to all 32 schools in the East Dorset area. The aim is for this to be recognised at a national level and once it has been trialled best practice will be shared with the other TAGs.
The next bus forum meeting will be on 13/09/07 at QE.
There are approximately ten users per day of the 300 Service. New areas which are being covered include Witchampton, Cranborne, Verwood and Shapwick. The launch day went well and was featured in the Echo and Community magazine. The Parish Council’s are encouraged to continue spreading the word. Ideas are welcomed if there are any places where this could be effectively promoted.
John Hood felt the service was not going to the right areas. HR to attend Alderholt Parish Council meeting to gauge opinion.
The current route will remain the same for continuity until road works due to commence in September are completed. Road works on Leigh Road and Canford Bridge are both scheduled for September, Vera Ricketts will check for commencement dates for work.
TAG Leaders Meeting
NH has been coordinating the six active TAG’s and so far has proved to be very beneficial. Examples of this include the Purbeck TAG using the Western TAG’s constitution. The minutes, activities and agendas of the other TAG groups are available for perusal at www.dorsetcommunityaction.org.uk.
4. Ferndown and Uddens Industrial Estate Travel Plan
PS handed out copies of the Travel Plan which has been prepared by the Ferndown and Uddens Business Forum which is a collaboration of the 400 business based on the Ferndown & Uddens Industrial Estate. The Business Forum is a unique coming together of the business community to identify and address issues of common concern. One of the joint issues is accessibility. The travel plan identifies the economic and environmental impact of these difficulties and sets out a series of actions to address them.
One area of the travel plan is for a bus service onto the industrial estate. DCC are producing a bid with EDDC assistance to be presented at the August Rural Renaissance meeting. PS will update on activities when available.
Any one requiring additional copies of the Travel Plan can contact Julie@ferdownforum.com
5. Dorset Cyclists’ Network
Michael Evans attended the TAG by invitation in order to inform the group about the Dorset Cyclists’ Network (DCN). Their website can be accessed at www.dcn.org.uk.
The DCN currently consists of eleven branches that campaign for a cycle friendly Dorset; they are recognised as the official body by Dorset County Council, Bournemouth Borough Council and the Borough of Poole. They also run Dr Bike Clinics at public events to advise on road worthiness of bicycles.
Recent successful issues local to East Dorset have been the campaign for a safe route to QE and a dedicated cycle path on the Canford Bridge.
Areas which need improvement and are currently being looked into include the lack of a safe cycle route to Kingston Lacy; a route has been found but major funding is required and improved cycle friendly signing around Wimborne. There is no direct cycle route from West to East Wimborne (if the Waitrose Plan goes ahead a cycle route has been agreed which will mitigate this problem).
One of the major tasks for the DCN is the provision of a comprehensive cycle map which could potentially be of use over the Dorset area.
It was noted that although both Ferndown Leisure Centre and Moors Valley are running a series of excellent cycle training courses there is a requirement for more adult cycle training. POPS was considered to be a potential source of funding that may be worth contacting.
The TAG requested to be added to the circulation list for the DCN quarterly newsletter.
KB informed the group that QE School are putting together their own travel plan and that staff are looking at cycling as a means of getting to school.
6. Verwood Industrial Estate Travel Plan
William Wallace (WW) informed the group that the Regional Development Agency (RDA) had asked at short notice for projects to be submitted that could be completed by March 2008.
A project summary for a ‘Verwood Area Accessibility Study’ was presented to the group. The purpose of the study is to expand access options and employment opportunities and to undertake active research to develop a green travel plan. The project has been submitted to DART for endorsement .
WW put forward Kevin Poulton’s (Economic Generation Officer at EDDC) request for endorsement by the TAG and a financial contribution to the project. Those entitled to vote voted in favour of £100 funding from the TAG to the project along with the TAG’s endorsement.
The total cost of the project is estimated to be in the region of £25,000 with the main bulk of funding being asked for from the RDA.
Jean Hazel volunteered to take this information to the Verwood Town Council meeting on 24/07/07 to investigate if there could potentially be any form of support available from this area. The DCN would also be happy to be approached for a nominal donation as the travel plan incorporates cycling provision. PS to send both their details to KP and Julie Pearce at the Verwood Forum.
When a more detailed plan is available this will be presented to the TAG to see what further support can be given such as volunteering people/expertise etc.
7. Any Other Business
VR updated the group that the travel plan for Hurn has been given the go ahead via Christchurch Borough Council. Simon Truick will be holding consultation meetings should anyone wish to be involved. It was requested that this is added to the agenda of the next TAG meeting.
WW informed the group that all concessionary bus passes must be reissued (applicable to all those aged 60 +) to coincide with the release of the Smart Cards from January 2008. Groups will be held in the following locations; Verwood, Wimborne and St Leonards.
It was noted there are no representatives at the TAG meetings from Corfe Mullen, Sturminster Marshall or Ferndown LAG; invites will be issued.
HR informed the group that Two bikes are now available if anybody is aware of somebody who could make use of this provision. Funds are becoming increasingly tight and new innovative ideas are sought (e.g. company could sponsor a bike) for funding. The approximate cost of the scheme is £2,000 per annum for two bikes. There is a meeting scheduled for August to consider new funding initiatives and this will be added to the agenda of the next TAG meeting.
The next meeting will be held on Monday 17th September, 7:00pm – 9:00pm, at The Hanham Centre, Hanham Road, Wimborne, BH21 1AS