19th January 2009
7.00pm – The Hanham Centre, Wimborne
1. Welcome from the Chairman
Maureen Godfrey (MG) welcomed the group.
2. Declarations of Interest
Those present at the meeting were asked to declare any agenda items which are of pecuniary interest to them.
James Riley advised that he is the co-ordinator for the West Moors Neighbour Car scheme. Barry Wye advised he is the chairman of this scheme.
3. Previous Minutes
Previous minutes were accepted. Correction to Peter Finney’s surname required on the attendance list.
4. Traffic Congestion – Allenbourn Middle School
The traffic congestion around Allenbourn Middle school is due to parents parking in hazardous positions which make it dangerous for the single decker school bus to manoeuvre up East Borough into the school.
PS – has advised Sgt Oliphant who has passed the information onto PC Andy Watkins of Wimborne Police Station and has asked him, or another member of the Wimborne Town Centre Safer Neighbourhood Team to look at. PS to report back to the TAG when further information has been received. Action PS
MGo - advised he had passed these concerns over to the Police.
IG – same situation and concerns over the congestion and safety. He has not spoken to the head teacher. Concerns to be taken up with PC Watkins. There are similar school bus related problems in other areas.
JS – will formally raise the issue with the PACT panel which will get the issue onto the priority list. Problem time around 8.30/40 am.Action JS
HR – the same problem is also in the afternoons at school pick up time and there are a larger number of cars parking due to collections.
MGo – advised he is not aware of any accidents in the area.
HR – advised that two children were hurt when the bus had to brake suddenly whilst having to manoeuvre around parked cars and the children had been standing on the bus.
WW – advised that there is the provision for cars to pick up / drop off in Allenview Road car park and this is well used.
5. Any Other Business
- West Moors – Bournemouth Bus
This item has been postponed to the March Traffic and Transport TAG meeting.
- West Moors Neighbour Car
The scheme has now been running for 1 year and made 179 journeys. Clients pay 40p per mile / clients with medical needs / they would like to accept taxi tokens / most taxi firms don’t accept the tokens due to admin costs. The Ringwood Office where tokens could be cased in has shut. Need to set up local scheme to cash in these vouchers. Action WW
WW – thinks that the taxi tokens could be cashed in at Holt post office or at the cash office at the Council offices. Will check with Dan Povey.
WW has spoken to DP. The concern raised at the TAG over how those accepting our tokens can cash them in was correct. EDDC do not accept the taxi tokens at the cash office at Furzehill. Action WW
DP has offered to look into the question of whether we can arrange for some other local place where taxi tokens could be cashed in. WW to keep the TAG informed.
JR – when the taxi token issue was raised he was advised from Furzehill that the tokens had to be sent to Lancashire. They now have 165 clients using the scheme. Clients are asked if they have a blue badge to qualify for the scheme. Disabled clients use this scheme where they have no access to buses.
MG – advised she has heard people speak well of this scheme and offered congratulations on the service provided.
JR – they have only had to turn away a handful of clients.
BW – advised that the Holt scheme is now separate to the West Moors scheme and uses local drivers to keep the costs down.
WW – with regard to bus access issues particular needs should be raised with DCC, i.e. raised platforms.
AM – interested in the blue badge data – i.e. where these holders are.
MGo – advised the 37 service did not provide any raised platforms and this has been raised by a passenger.
- Canford Bottom Roundabout
WW – advised that the Highways agency have now produced ideas on the Canford Bottom round-a-bout / design has now arrived / information needed on the costing / it will be April/May 2009 before any details will be made public / lobbying can then begin.
- Drive 55 Plus
Drive 55 Plus is a joint casualty reduction initiative, between the three local authorities in Dorset, to reduce the numbers of drivers aged 55 plus being injured on our roads. Handout with dates of courses given out to group – attached to notes.
6. Partnership Funding / Projects 2009 – Simon Woodcock
Simon Woodcock introduced himself to the group. The Dorset Strategic Partnership Funding available for 09/10 is £26K. Simon helps manage the Community Partnership projects for EDDC. Each TAG is being asked to submit their projects for 09/10. Shortlist of projects will be made in February/March with final recommendations being agreed in April by the Steering Board on which projects to fund.
A break out session followed where TAG members were asked to think of projects in East Dorset around traffic and transport issues where can make a difference and / or a problem that can be solved.
The groups feed back their issues and the following list of projects were agreed to be looked at:
1. School Bus Driver Training – Peter Finney
2. Lack of transport for Young People – John Shave
3. Relocating Pedestrian Crossing in West Moors – Pete Holden
4. MIDAS Mini Bus Training – Peter Finney / Maureen Godfrey
5. Promotion of Cycle Maps / Cycle to Work / Travel Plan – Julie Pearce
6. Scooter Scheme – Transport for Young People - on hold
SW – is available for any help needed in filling out the project forms. Information on the local area agreement can be found on www.dorsetforyou.com. Deadline end of January but possible 10 day slack period (let Simon know if this is required).
Group 1 – Feedback:
MG – a common issue across the areas represented by this group is bus drivers who do the school runs and are not PCV qualified. Schools have their own buses driven by teachers/volunteers who are not PCV trained. Suggest a course for these types of drivers where they do not have to pay.
MG – Age concern view on the eastern side of East Dorset, St Leonards, St Ives, Parley re buses running to the day centres. Difficult to fund MIDAS training and suitably qualified drivers for Age Concern. Suggest a course for these types of drivers where they do not have to pay.
SW – Third sector group in the area also have transport and training issues. MIDAS not used in Dorset.
PS – advised that Julie Pearce would like to put forward a project to help promote the cycle maps to the business communities in the local area / industrial estates / different ways of travelling onto the estates / view to extending to a Verwood travel plan.
MG – would like to see the cycle map promotion idea move forward / joint work with the Environment TAG.
BS – Scooter scheme - funding for young people to use scooters provided.
HR – idea to employ one person to cover all the training.
SW – minibus brokerage scheme idea.
AM – West Dorset are looking at a brokerage scheme for community transport.
SW – An audit would be required of what mini buses are available in East Dorset / conditions for use.
JS – costing required re insurance / training.
HR – NORDCAT tried to do a similar scheme but lots of issues were raised / so many that it ended up being too complicated to run / a smaller group may be feasible.
SW/JS – shared use with a school / Council / Voluntary organisation and look at the feasibility of uses.
SW/PF – the scooter scheme would require a lot of ongoing money / external funding dried up.
AM – holding onto the scheme / part of the access solution.
HR – would sustain one 1 or 2 people on the scheme for 6 months.
PF – serves a minority not majority of residents.
SW – this could be a back burner project of approx £1k.
Group 2 – Feedback:
JS – this issue was raised at a joint Youth / Community Safety TAG meeting / the youth not having transport to social events e.g., Tower Park and Bournemouth / leads to anti-social activities / insurance implications to be considered / unsure on the numbers / subsidised public transport.
CH – asked was it possible to provide a public bus at the end of the list of current services? None of the bus companies or other agencies has been able to solve this issue.
Group 3 – Feedback:
PH – advised that in West Moors there is a requirement to re-site an existing pelican crossing that is currently placed by a redundant Post Office This crossing would be more suitable relocated to nearer the school allowing it safer for children to cross.
MG – what would be the costs of moving the pelican crossing approx 250 yards in West Moors / supporting evidence from the Police already obtained
7. Date of Next Meeting:
Tuesday 17th March 2009 7pm – 9pm at Allendale House – Castleman A –
Please note change of venue.
Parking is available in Allenview Car Park