17th March 2009
7.00pm – Allendale House, Wimborne
1. Welcome from the Chairman
Maureen Godfrey (MG) welcomed Stephanie Smith to the group.
2. Declarations of Interest
Those present at the meeting were asked to declare any agenda items which are of pecuniary interest to them.
Barry Wye advised that he is the chairman for the West Moors Neighbour Car scheme.
3. Previous Minutes
Previous minutes were accepted. Clarification was sought on drivers and relevant PCV qualifications. All bus drivers have PCV but this is not the case for those that may drive a school mini buses etc. Previous minutes were accepted.
Allenbourn Middle School
PS has enquired with PC Andy Watkins regarding congestion around Allenbourn Middle School. PS to report back to the TAG when further information has been received. Action PS
4. Update on Projects submitted for Funding 2009
Peter Finney has advised this no longer applies as a project as the work is being incorporated into a project ran by DCC.
PS advised this project would not go ahead as at the end of March the position currently filled by Julie Pearce will no longer exist.
BW – maps now outdated due to the new cycle route from Parley Cross to Bournemouth airport.
MG & JW to request if any funding is available from DCC to reprint cycle maps including the new cycle ways. Action MJ & JW
PS has requested the cycle maps be added to www.dorsetforyou.com. The maps are currently on www.eastdorsetcommunitypartnership.org.uk and www.verwoodforum.com.
Work is in progress on the crossing at Parley and the position of lollipop person has been advertised.
5. West Moors – Bournemouth Bus
Murray Goosen advised there is no provision for a bus from West Moors to Bournemouth in the foreseeable future. RL requested an alternating service between West Moors to Poole/Bournemouth but this is not currently a viable option and has previously been explored by PI.
Wilts & Dorset are avoiding making changes to services in the current climate although minor timetable changes will need to be made to the No 37. MGo to advise as soon as possible so the information can be escalated to residents.Action MGo
PI – Bus services in EDDC area are not frequent enough and would need overhauling in order to change perception of the service and increase its use as a means of commuting.
JRu requested how service information at bus stops could be relayed to passengers. There are currently two schemes ran predominantly in Bournemouth & Poole; Real Time Information (RTI) displays and text messaging services. RTI can be unreliable as changes need to be manually triggered and cancellations are not displayed. PI & MGo will investigate costs and basic logistics of each scheme. This was felt to be an area which may benefit from project funding in the future. Action PI & MGo
6. West Moors – Neighbour Car
The scheme has assisted 205 clients and this is (currently) met by 18 voluntary drivers. Clients pay 40 per mile plus a donation if they wish (donations are given to the scheme and not the driver). The local Co-op has confirmed they will provide a driver to the scheme one day per week.
All drivers must have insurance verification, CRB checks (administered by Dorset Volunteer Office, free of charge) and are advised not to lift heavy items or enter client’s houses.
June Adams (Secretary) has been awarded a grant by Dorset Community Action for £1,000. £300 of which is to be used for 3rd party insurance and the remainder will be used for leaflets and promotion of the scheme.
7. Wimborne Minster – Town Square Enhancement Scheme
WW presented the above to the group.
The scheme provides more space for pedestrians to enjoy, revives the square as the focus, less traffic at slower speeds and creates a setting for the historic buildings in the town.
Elements of the scheme to be incorporated include:
One way traffic from East Borough to High Street and westwards only through the square.
Buses will continue to operate in the square; the bus stop will be on the south side of the square only.
Taxis will be relocated to stands in West Borough and High Street.
Church Street will be closed to all traffic, except emergency vehicles and essential goods access. Premises without rear access will need to trolley goods from Cook Row or High Street.
There will be no car parking in the square.
Crossings as the same level as pavements will be installed in High Street, East Borough and Mill Lane.
High kerbs on the south side of the square will allow easy access onto buses.
The existing pelican crossing will be replaced with a puffin crossing.
Tactile paving at street/pavement crossovers will be integrated into the paving.
The scheme is dependent upon the sale of land at Verwood for housing and is likely to take at least 1 – 2 years to begin.
Sample paving will be displayed outside Allendale House imminently for public perusal.
MGo supports development of the town scheme but not to the detriment of bus services. W & D would like to see two way traffic and there is no infrastructure in place for the growth of buses which is inevitable.
DM representing the Chamber of Commerce advised the group on their stance regarding the enhancement scheme. They have filed a letter opposing the scheme and would have appreciated a private consultation with EDDC regarding the plans.
RL – Would 3 disabled parking spaces be adequate? Should they be separated for ease of access to various services?
Future plans will include road names/services for ease of reference.
The Highways Agency (HA) have appointed new consultants. Short term improvements to Canford Bottom roundabout are expected to be published in Autumn and members are encouraged to view these as there is some concern not enough consideration will be given to pedestrians, cyclists and buses.
The long term improvement bid submitted by HA and local councils will not be available until 2019 (anticipated to be 25 million) and the main bulk of the funding will be available in the next round of funding available after 2019 (anticipated to be 65 million). Ultimately an increase in capacity will not be available until 2020/2021.
A348 at Longham
WW is meeting with Steve Williams to discuss traffic measures; one idea is to reduce the speed limit from 40 to 30mph.
The Mayor of Ferndown has expressed concern regarding the A348 and is holding an event at the end of April.
Work is being undertaken on improvements to the trailway and it is hoped that consultation will take place on the ideas later in the spring.
East Dorset Community Partnership Annual Conference
The EDCP annual conference is due to be held on 29th April 2009 at The Hanham Centre from 9.30am – 2.00pm and members are encouraged to respond.
PI commended bus drivers/providers for the services during the snow.
The TAG thanked PS and Julie Pearce for their involvement in the TAG and for the production of the cycle maps. Judy Windwood will take over PS duties; JW currently works Tuesday through to Friday.
9. Date of Next Meeting:
Wednesday 20th May 2009 7pm – 9pm at The Hanham Centre.